Friday

yet another reason


I love vintage. Since I was 11 years old, I've been scouring thrift stores and flea markets all for that two minute rush of finding that classic cardigan or that one-of-a-kind polyester sun dress. Favouring vintage over high street brands has been a part of me since I was old enough to dress myself. Honestly though, I have never given thorough consideration of my daily consumer habits or the idea that wearing vintage can be seen as a part of my view of life and ethics.

Nowadays we can read from so many magazines about all those "eco-friendly" fashion choices made available for consumers. If we want to get on the earth friendly bandwagon and still remain chic we have several options to choose from. We can favor organic cottons and other organic fabrics or we can purchase now so hip reusable fabric bag. And of course we can choose our clothes with natural dyes in fabrics and so on.

In my sincere opinion the only truly eco-friendly fashion choice is to wear vintage. Why you ask? Because it is not only the most creative and individual choice around, it is now the most sensible way to reduce extreme consumption. Recycling your old clothes and wearing vintage clothes and accessories is not only a refreshing fashion statement, it is an ecological and philosophical statement as well. By wearing vintage you can help to save the planet! Buying vintage is recycling in it's truest form.

I also like the idea that wearing vintage links me to those myriad of women who have been swapping clothing, crafting, reworking garments and buying at charity shops for decades before me. All these things are not against consumption per se. They’re against throwing things away.

Local vintage shopping is not difficult at all- Yelp.com gives you a directory with reviews on your local vintage clothing stores. My personal favourite, of course, is shopping vintage on etsy. There are several etsy shops with a wide variety of beautiful, classic collections available for purchase 24/7. I've given a brief list, but keep on browsing through the etsy data bank. So remember, vintage clothing is like puppy adoption. Why continue to make new ones, when there are so many out there in desperate need of good homes?

doux vintage
dear golden vintage
thrush vintage
jess james jake



[photo credit-thrush vintage on etsy]

0 comments:

Post a Comment